Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Sweets

     I decided to give up reading Utopia (temporarily).  I do not understand how I could manage to finish Heart of Darkness last year.  It doesn't seem to be the same person.  Moreover, More's Utopia is not difficult at all!  I mean, there's occasionally the vocabulary that I don't know, but it does not prevent me from understanding the text.

     But the fact is that I am not going to read it tonight even if I have to return it by eleven forty-five tomorrow.  Well, I mean, not this moment at least.

     The reason why I decided to put Utopia aside and to start writing all the rubbish here is that those French songs (yes, French songs, you are not mistaken) in my computer makes me a bit homesick.  I suppose you are now wondering how come French songs can make me homesick when I do not come from France; I cannot really explain this, but I listened to all these songs in Taipei for the first time.  It was also the very first time in my life that I felt touched by the live music.  I still remember that March in 2009 was a wonderful month, mainly thanks to the concert.

     These days are probably the most anxious days for me in Manchester.  I just cannot figure out where to pick up the textbook required by a course instructor ("ensure that you buy the book in the beginning of the year," said he. Is it a he?  I don't even remember.), and that I feel quite anxious about skipping classes because of my trip to Paris.  However I guess this is MY choice; after all, I really want to go and I don't have so much time in Europe as others do.  Don't tell me about the idea of "next time"; I simply don't believe it.  I'll still go, I guess, it must be a part of my plan to stray here in Europe.

    I believe by now you can see how bad my English becomes.  Actually I took an English test this afternoon and wrote a crappy essay about my study in my home university (if we can really call it study), my courses in Manchester, and how they can help me in the future.  Well, I don't think I can say something lousy like "I'd like to be the de Beauvoir of Taiwan", so I wrote something that even I myself cannot recall now.  And during the test I (finally) took my courage to talk to the German guy sitting beside me.  It's not that he looks unfriendly or so; it was me who is cowardice (again).  In fact, he's really nice and surprisingly I can understand him better compared with most of the fast-talking British people I've met so far.  Well maybe for most of the people knowing a person is nothing, but for me it's a sign showing that I can also try to know someone by myself.  To be brief, I retrieved some of my lost confidence (of the ability of befriending with others) however ridiculous it sounds.  And I wrote "et" ("and" in French) when I intended to write "and" during the exam and felt stupid and could only cross it out because a man used up my erasing tape.  I'm not mad at it; I just want to say that it's really silly that the test markers are going to see these stupid mistakes.

     After bidding good-bye to my new friend, I went to the International Society to register for the trip to the Lake District next week, which costs me 25 pounds.  But I suppose it's going to be worthwhile; I'm in the UK and I have to and do want to go to some other parts of the country.


     And then I went to the supermarket and bought butter, muffins, and cookies.  I ate too many sweets after returning back to my dorm so I could only consumed five baby potatoes for dinner.  Oh and my Romanian flatmate is the most amazing person I met in Manchester: her English is so good that I can hardly imagine that she's not a native speaker.  Also she's nice and easy-going.  And compared to Alicia, my Taiwanese flatmate and Mada, the Romanian flatmate, and two other flatmates from China, I am such a lazy person because I barely cook and had five microwaved potatoes for dinner.  Maybe I'll try to burn the kitchen the other days.

    Hopefully my Chinese flatmate is not mad at my claim that our national day is on Oct 10th.  I don't want to argue with her at all and she actually said nothing.  But I've noticed that her facial expression was sort of weird; well I hope she would be able to "tolerate" different identities.  I hope it's just my misunderstanding.

    Maybe the party for Taiwanese students on Fri and BOOKING THE PLANE TICKET TO PARIS will make me happier.  I don't come to Manchester to worry, do I?  I hope you guys, everyone whom I really care about is all fine in Taiwan.

     I'll make a wish: I hope I will meet more amazing people these coming days.


p.s. Anna, I don't know if you're reading this blog, but I miss you soooo much while I was listening to the music you recommended today; I really love them.  Happy Mid-autumn Festival!

2 comments:

  1. Of course I'm reading! It is normal to feel homesick...I promise, those feelings will dissipate soon and will be replaced by excitement. Enjoy your time in Manchester! Your flatmate sounds fun :)
    Anna

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's so good to see your message... thank you Anna, homesick may be the least thing that I expected before I came.
    But I'm going for a party tonight! A REAL party!(until very late :p)
    Wish you luck in the States!!

    ReplyDelete